Designated as “Company 2” in the Central Susquehanna Regional 9-1-1 (created from the merger of Union and Snyder Countys’ systems) dispatch system, the William Cameron Engine Company (WCEC) provides fire prevention, control, extinguishment, and emergency medical services to the greater Lewisburg area within Union and Northumberland Counties of Pennsylvania and to other areas as requested.
In a typical year, WCEC responds to more than 4,500 requests for emergency medical, rescue, and firefighting services.
The department’s main station, “Station 2”, is located at 11 Buffalo Road in Lewisburg and houses the department’s emergency vehicles and staff.
The department also occupies a building across the street, designated as the Support Center at 239 N. 5th Street, includes the Chief Robert Stackhouse Training Center, the Liddick-Stephens Museum, administrative offices, and equipment and supply storage.
A combination department staffed by both career and volunteer personnel, WCEC personnel train to maintain the highest possible professional standards of service and care.
The William Cameron Engine Company was founded in 1874 and has a rich and well-preserved history. You can read more about the department’s history in the history section of this website.
William Cameron Engine Company operations are funded from five main sources:
- Contributions from municipal governments with which WCEC has agreements to provide emergency services. These funds come from various municipal taxes and fees as determined and levied by individual municipalities.
- The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s tax on fire insurance premiums. Revenues from the tax are distributed to the WCEC Relief Association by the Pennsylvania Auditor General.
- Payments for emergency medical services.
- Contributions from local organizations located in the Company’s coverage area and exempt from municipal and county taxes and fees.
- Various state and federal grants for specific projects, equipment, or operational activities.
- Contributions from the general public.